COVID-19 Update: English Country Dance returns November 14
Vaccinated and want to dance? We'll be relaunching the Sunday English Country Dances on Sunday, November 14 at the Shirley McPhail School of Dance (see details below). We're looking forward to seeing you back on the dance floor!
The TAADA events remain on hiatus until further notice. Please check back here, or subscribe to our email list for updates.
Austin English Country Dancing
When: Sundays, 1:30-3:30pm *relaunching November 14
Where: Shirley McPhail School of Dance, 8018 Mesa Dr., Austin
Suggested donation: $6
COVID-19 precautions: You must be fully vaccinated for COVID to attend. In other words, you must have had your final injection at least two weeks prior to the dance. Come prepared to show proof of vaccination if requested.
Masks are required. Please bring your own water. Hand sanitizer will be provided.
Shirley McPhail School of Dance is in the Randalls shopping center at the southwest corner of Spicewood Springs and Mesa in Northwest Hills, behind Another Broken Egg Cafe. The school has a rigorous cleaning protocol and uses HEPA air filtration.
3rd Saturday Contra Dance
When: The 3rd Saturday of each month, 7:00pm-10:00pm *on hiatus until further notice due to COVID-19
San Marcos Sunday Contra Dance
When: (Usually) the 4th Sunday of each month, 1:30pm-4:30pm *on hiatus until further notice due to COVID-19
Other Local Dances
(not sponsored by TAADA)
*many events are on still on hiatus due to COVID-19, be sure to double-check with organizers that event is happening
Folk dance in Austin
- Austin Barn Dancers (Contra), every Wednesday evening at the Hancock Recreation Center
- Austin Dare2Square, old-time square dances
- Austin International Folk Dancers, Fridays at the Hancock Recreation Center
- Austin Scandinavian Dancing, Wednesdays at the Hancock Recreation Center (back room)
- Csárdás Hungarian Dancers, Mondays at the Hancock Recreation Center
- Austin Scottish Country Dance Society, Tuesdays in West Lake Hills
- Austin Square and Round Dance Association
- Austin Friends of Traditional Music, promotes traditional music in Austin and occasionally hosts square and barn dances.
Other dance in Austin
- Four on the Floor, swing and lindy hop classes, Tuesdays at The Fed
- Austin Swing Syndicate, East Coast Swing and other couples dances, Thursdays at The Fed
- Code Blue, blues dance events around Austin
Folk dance around Texas
- Bryan/College Station Contra, 1st Saturday
- North Texas Traditional Dance Society Contra, Saturdays in Dallas/Irving
- Houston Area Traditional Dance Society, contras 1st and 3rd Saturdays, English Country Dance 1st and 3rd Thursdays
- Scottish Country Dance Alliance
- See also: Charlie Seelig's Texas Contra, Dance, and Waltz in Texas Schedule