3rd Saturday Contra Dance
When: The 3rd Saturday of each month, 7:00pm-10:00pm
Where: Life in the City, 205 E Monroe St, Austin
Regular admission: $10
TAADA members: $8
The dance begins at 7:00pm with a walk-through of basic moves. There is a break after 8:30pm. Please note this is a fragrance-free dance.
The third Saturday Austin contra is held at Life in the City, 205 East Monroe Street, Austin, TX, 78704, one block east of South Congress.
There is free parking is available on neighborhood streets; however, please be mindful of any and all parking restrictions. There is also a pay for parking garage on the southeast corner of South Congress and Monroe Street.
San Marcos Sunday Contra Dance
When: (Usually) the 4th Sunday of each month, 1:30pm-4:30pm
Where: United Campus Ministry, 510 N. Guadalupe St., San Marcos
Regular admission: $10
TAADA members: $9
See the San Marcos Contra Dance site for more details. Note: The San Marcos dance is usually held on the 4th Sunday of the month, but is occasionally moved to the 3rd or 5th Sunday.
English Country Dancing Basics and Beyond
Note: After September 2019, English will no longer be meeting on Saturdays at the Shirley McPhail School of Dance. The last dance at McPhail's will be September 28, 2019.
English Country Dance is moving to Mondays at Hancock. To kick off this move, we are offering a six-week introductory class, starting on October 7 and culminating in an English Country Dance Ball, featuring live music, on November 18th. Experienced dancers are very welcome and encouraged to attend.
When: Mondays, 7:30pm-9:30pm, October 7-November 11*, 2019
English Country Dance Ball, on November 18th
Where: Hancock Recreation Center, 811 East 41st St, Austin
Instructors: Sylverre Polhemus and Elizabeth Stehl
Cost per class: $5
Cost for Ball: TBA
Attending all classes is encouraged but not required to participate in the Ball.
*Note: Hancock is closed on November 11. Class will meet at The Wildflower Terrace Ballroom, 3801 Berkman Drive near Mueller Tower.
Austin English Country Dancers on Facebook
Other Local Dances
(not sponsored by TAADA)
Folk dance in Austin
- Austin Barn Dancers (Contra), every Wednesday evening at the Hancock Recreation Center
- Austin Dare2Square, old-time square dances
- Austin International Folk Dancers, Fridays at the Hancock Recreation Center
- Austin Scandinavian Dancing, Wednesdays at the Hancock Recreation Center (back room)
- Csárdás Hungarian Dancers, Mondays at the Hancock Recreation Center
- Austin Scottish Country Dance Society, Tuesdays in West Lake Hills
- Austin Square and Round Dance Association
- Austin Friends of Traditional Music, promotes traditional music in Austin and occasionally hosts square and barn dances.
- English Country Dance Class - Austin, Hancock Recreation Center, first and third Wednesdays, 7:30pm-9:30pm
- English country dance lessons, Wildflower Terrace (3801 Berkman Drive), Sundays, 4pm-6pm
Other dance in Austin
- Four on the Floor, swing and lindy hop classes, Tuesdays at The Fed
- Austin Swing Syndicate, East Coast Swing and other couples dances, Thursdays at The Fed
- Code Blue, blues dance events around Austin
Folk dance around Texas
- Bryan/College Station Contra, 1st Saturday
- North Texas Traditional Dance Society Contra, Saturdays in Dallas/Irving
- Houston Area Traditional Dance Society, contras 1st and 3rd Saturdays, English Country Dance 1st and 3rd Thursdays
- Scottish Country Dance Alliance
- See also: Charlie Seelig's Texas Contra, Dance, and Waltz in Texas Schedule